Saturday, April 15, 2006

Cherry Blossoms

Well Easter Sunday... a day that both Andrea and I were looking forward to; it's sunny, warm (the first day in a while) and we had the hopes of going out, enjoying the sun, having a picnic and going to the market to do some gift shopping for people at home. However, there seems to be things that have been hindering us from really enjoying our 1 day off for the past month-ish. This past week I was sick...yes, again, and today, Andrea woke up sick which has changed our "Easter plans." But, it has so far turned out to be a relaxing day :) Always much needed. I got to sleep in (until almost 11am!!!! Not normal, but most delightful!), and then did some reading and journaling. My boyfriend and I keep a journal for eachother... we write down random questions about life, things we read, things we experience, etc. etc. and I hadn't written anything in like 2 months! (So sorry, honey :( ) So, today I got to write down a lot of cool things I've been reading in this great book by Donald Miller, "Searching for God Knows What." (He also writes, "Blue Like Jazz" and both books are a must read if you're into "emergent spirituality"- for lack of a better description.)
I just talked to my parents on the phone and that's always great...sometimes frustrating as their speaker phone isn't the greatest quality and it's often hard to hear what they are saying. (Or it could be the fact that my mom talks like a million miles an hour and it's hard to get a word in!!! Hahaha! Sorry mom :)) They're doing a lot of work to their yard/house which sounds great and I can't wait to get back home and see it! I love our house!
Anyway, so last weekend we did have the opportunity to do a day trip to Gyeongju, Korea's ancient capital city. There are "ruins," which are basically the foundations of palace buildings, covered by grass, but it's still cool to see how big the palace grounds were! It was a great spring day... a little cold and windy, but the cherry blossoms, which are famous in Korea, were absolutely gorgeous! (Pics to follow!)
We were walking down one of the main roads and walked passed this Korean traditional music store and went in to look. We ended up having our own private concert of Korean music...the owners children quit high-school and now study traditional music...which is a "lost" art in Korea. It's very beautiful and interesting. It was a great experience to hear this music, and to make new friends who invited us into their home.
It was a good day...unfortunately not totally enjoyable due to the cold wind and the feeling of sickness.
We walked around the old palace fortress, tried our "hands" at archery (no pun intended!), and then went to more palace grounds, where a kind built this amazing pond...called Anapchi pond. Later we drove high up into the mountains and visited an old buddhist rock carving...very beautiful art work. If the day had been clear, we could have seen for miles! We were so high, and the landscape is just gorgeous!
Okay, I just paused to read this, and it seems I'm rambling on... so I'll post some pics and let you see the day for yourself!

3 Comments:

At April 19, 2006 10:01 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah yeah! I like pictures! :) are you well? I did jump over to your sister's blog, as you said to, ~thanks. It was...timely...for me... with where I'm at and what I'm thinking/talking about these days with people. Love you lots~ stay safe, 'kay? e

 
At April 21, 2006 8:14 a.m., Blogger Bethany said...

Wow! You are on such an adventure, Rachel! I love reading your stories! What a culture shock. No doubt you are blessing the socks off all your new Korean friends! Peace and joy to you! Can't wait to read more!

 
At April 21, 2006 9:52 a.m., Blogger Esul... morning dew said...

Ha! Bethany, what a great thing to say! I definately feel like I'm on an adventure, but I haven't felt like I've been a blessing! Maybe it's just cuz of the job and I lose sight of my mere life in a non-work environment??? I had a very terrible day (probably a blog about it later!) today and I just feel like I am the worst possible teacher to ever set foot in a classroom! Seriously, it's done nothing for the confidence factor! Hahaha!
I hope your week is going very good!
Yikes! It's LATE! Gotta get some shut eye! Talk to you soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home